The Quarry Hill roots began with William Gammie (Bill's father), born in 1903. William Gammie was one of four children, and were part of the massive wave of immigration to
William and Alex Gammie bought the present farm on
To carry on the family niche of farming, Bill followed in his father’s footsteps. Bill decided to spend his time working the family's farm. In 1979 the farm was named Quarry Hill Orchards by Bill’s mother, because of the three old sandstone quarries on the farm's rolling land. The old stonehouse near the orchard & winery on Mason Rd. was built circa 1835 from stones mined from these once active quarries.
In 2004, the concept of the winery came to be. The McLellands approached The Gammies, and together decided to open a winery and aptly named it Quarry Hill Winery. Mac McLelland, originally from Georgia, operates and co-owns the winery & vineyard. Mac was bitten with the "wine bug" while in Georgia after graduating from Auburn University. Once in the area, he began an apprenticeship at a local winery where he made wine and eventually managed the business for over seven years. During this time, he learned his craft and developed his passion for wine and future grape growing.
Quarry Hill Winery has expanded, since its inception, with a new winery building to house the winery operations. This newer building has opened and offers a most comfortable environment for visitors to enjoy the wines grown and carefully crafted on site.
Above pictured is Bill when the vineyard was being planted and below is Mac.